So…it gets super-duper hot in Houston during the summer months. We tend to spend most days outside in the pool; then wrap up our evenings enjoying delicious food prepared on the grill. In this summer heat, we often opt for lighter grilled fare. This grilled teriyaki chicken salad recipe is not only delicious, but there is something to please everyone’s palette in the family. Even my picky eaters love the marinated chicken breasts from this dish. We hope you love it as much as we do!
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1c teriyaki sauce, divided (we used Kikkoman teriyaki marinade & sauce)
- 8c chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 c cherry tomatoes
- ¼ thinly sliced red onion
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 15 oz can pineapple rings with juice
- 1/3c rice vinegar
- 1/3c olive oil
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Combine ½ teriyaki sauce, ½ pineapple juice from the can and the chicken breasts in a sealed plastic bag. Press the air out of the bag and chill for 15 minutes. Tip: If your chicken breasts are uneven in sizing, gently pound them out to an even consistency before marinating for a more even cooking experience.
- Grill the chicken breasts on a greased grill, preheated to medium. Discard the remaining marinade. Grill the chicken breasts for approximately 6-10 minutes per side, or until cooked throughout. Transfer to a cutting board and after resting for 3-5 minutes; slice the breasts into thin strips for serving.
- While your chicken breasts are resting, quickly grill the pineapple ring slices until warmed and grill marks start to form. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare your vinaigrette. Combine ½c teriyaki sauce, remaining pineapple juice, 1/3c olive oil and 1/3 c rice vinegar and set aside.
- Assemble individual salad bowls beginning with chopped lettuce. Top with sliced tomatoes, sliced avocado, red onion slices, grilled pineapple and then top with your chicken breasts. Drizzle with teriyaki vinaigrette to taste. Garnish with sesame seeds.